Saturday, November 8, 2008

Strip Steak - 11.08.08



Location -
13 E.12th Street, New York / Greenwich Village
Style of Cuisine - Steakhouse

TOTAL SCORE - 40
Food - 19 (outstanding across the board)
  • 20oz. New York Strip: perfect wet-aged flavor, well-seasoned, little fat, perfect charring, outstanding flavor all around
  • Pan-Seared Scallops - the only disappointing dish but still good, no presence of truffle (which was in the description), sauce a little one-dimensional
  • Black Truffle Creamed Spinach - outstanding, perfect consistency, apparent truffle flavor but not overpowering, over-priced based on portion size at $12
  • Crisp Goose Fat Potatoes - good but a little heavy, a bit bland internally
  • Creamed Corn with Pancetta - very good, a little bit more runny than I would've preferred but still delicious
  • Glass of Coppola Claret - delicious
  • Glass of Bearboat Pinot Noir - very good
Service - 8 (solid, but nothing special)
Atmosphere - 6 (poorly lit, mildly kitschy, boring lay-out)
Value - 7 (delicious, but over-priced sides)

OVERVIEW -
Alright, so I've heard enough people stomping about this place that I had to give it a go.  Let me say, it lived up to it's billing and then some.  I'll just cut to the chase and say that everything I put in my mouth from the free bread to wet-aged 20oz strip steak ranged from really good to "wow."  It was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time.

I've never been a huge fan of the banquette seating where the two-tops are so cramped together the host almost needs assistance pulling out the table so your guest can wedge themselves in (especially when there were other tables available which would've allowed them to seat every other one and provide a bit more privacy - albeit temporarily).

Look, I'm not going to waste cyberspace looking for things to be critical of.  It was delicious and I'm already missing some of the dishes... what more can I say?

Contact Info - www.striphouse.net


 


No comments: